Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Simple Bento: #35


Have you noticed that the day after I make a more complicated bento, I tend to make a really easy one? That's no accident. I try to spread out the charaben so I don't get burned out making them. However, simple doesn't have to mean boring or non-tasty. This lunch is a good example of a delicious, nutritious box that was a snap to assemble.

I've been following a food blog called weelicious.com for the last few months. She does more typical blogs, but she also posts videos of her making food with her kids. These aren't amateur-looking videos either. Someone has obviously put some time and energy into making these look really nice. That's neither here nor there. The really cool part is that sweetPea watched the video on Avocado Herb Dip with me.

Pea has gotten a lot more adventurous in her eating lately (yay bento!), but she's still pretty dependent on ranch dressing for her veggies. I'm not as fond of that idea as she is. I've tried to interest her in guacamole or any kind of avocado-based dish for a while, but she turns it down. Last night I was preparing an avocado for dinner. She said, "Oh! Are you making that dip we saw?" Actually I hadn't planned on it, but hearing her enthusiasm I figured we'd give it a try. She was so excited! She ran outside and cut the herbs herself. She chose cilantro and chives. We put everything into the food processor, and voila! She ate dip for dinner with carrots, broccoli and corn chips. I was happy to have her do it.

So today's lunch includes Avocado Herb Dip with carrots and broccoli, strawberries and blackberries, and a Carrot Apple Coconut Muffin.

No comments:

Post a Comment