Monday, May 9, 2011

Bento Dinner: #33


Lots of bonus bentos today. These are from last Thursday. I didn't realize until Wednesday afternoon that sweetPea was off school on Thursday. So instead of making bentos for lunch, we had them for dinner before the annual Derby parade. In the top is a cheese croissant sandwich with a cheese "horse" on top. (It was in a Noah's ark cookie cutter set. I'm not actually sure what it's supposed to be.) On the bottom are kiwi slices, cucumber slices, and radish roses. 

It was a brilliant idea to take lots of food. The parade starts at 5:00 and doesn't end until around 7pm. So if you don't have anything to eat, you end up with whiny kids and cranky parents. Various vendors sell food at the parade, but it's usually kind of gross looking and it's cost prohibitive. For example, one small bottled water cost $4. 


My husband's bento contains Amazing Crunchy Tofu Salad, an egg salad sandwich on a croissant, some almonds, and a radish rose.


My bento contains an egg salad sandwich on a croissant, the same salad, and a radish rose. 

The bentos we have are a little small for adults, but I also brought along baggies filled with popcorn I popped at home and some delicious Strawberry Coffee Cake. We also brought along our own water and Pea had some milk. I also packed the dressing for the salads separately.

The Verdict: It was fabulous being able to eat a real meal. We packed in our own chairs and found a nice spot to watch the parade that was partially shaded and partly sunny. The salad is really really good. Even if you don't care much for tofu, you should try it. sweetPea has turned down tofu many times, but said that if I make it that way every time she'll happily eat it. I didn't include it in her bento because she doesn't like it cold. The salad I included in the bentos was leftover from the previous night's dinner. sweetPea also thought the radishes I put in her lunch were too spicy. She likes the watermelon radishes a lot better. I have some growing in my garden, so hopefully our supply will be replenished soon.

We went to the parade with some friends. The girls had a fantastic time. This was the first time Pea has gone to the parade and walked the whole way. We usually take her in the stroller, but at 5 1/2 she's a little old for that now. I was afraid she'd whine and complain all the way back to the car, but she and her friend skipped and ran ahead the whole way. Maybe it was partially due to the good food she got to fill her up? :)

Here's a picture of the girls dancing around during the parade. sweetPea is on the right in the butterfly dress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment