Monday, April 11, 2011

Spring Break Bentos: 16 & 17


I was trying to get us out the door, but I knew she'd be starving if I didn't bring any food. This was kind of a "snack" that I brought along on our hike. It contains cheese & crackers with blueberries, red grapes, and cucumber slices. sweetPea hiked all 1.5 miles without even asking to be carried once. Once she tripped and said it was hard to pay attention to where she was going when she was looking at "all this beauty". 

The Verdict: I didn't pack enough food. Apparently this is plenty for a relatively sedentary day at school, but for a 1.5 mile hike she needed more. She ate every bite and then had several more snacks when we got home. 


I took this along with us to a trip to the Science Center. On the left is purple cole slaw with a cheese butterfly. On the right are red grapes and kiwi. I also took along some cheese and crackers in a snacktaxi.

The Verdict: It was a disaster. Apparently putting cole slaw in a Lock & Lock container works just fine when the box will stay fairly horizontal. This was carried in my backpack for several hours. The juices from the cole slaw leaked over into the other container. The kiwi was tinted from the purple, which left it a very odd color. The grapes were also swimming in the sauce. Pea said, "I don't want to eat this. Who would?" Luckily I'd taken along the cheese and crackers so she ate those. Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment