Monday, April 18, 2011

Heart Beet: #21


This was her lunch for last Friday. I got a little behind on posting. She had Beets & Greens Risotto that I attempted to shape into a heart. On the top are blackberries and kiwi. As a special treat, I included a homemade brownie that isn't pictured here. 

The risotto might sound gross, but it's really good. I'm not a beet fan by any stretch of the imagination, but we kept getting them in our CSA share. So I either had to throw them away or learn how to use them in a way that didn't make me want to gag. After some experimentation, I realized I don't mind them sliced raw in salads. And I actually like them in this recipe. You basically throw grated beets and some kind of greens - the beet greens themselves work really well, but this time I used kale - into cooking risotto. At the end you add lemon zest and juice and a dusting of parmesan. For some reason this combination makes beets not only palatable, but really good. The full recipe is in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.

The Verdict: I was the lunchtime volunteer in Peas classroom last Friday. She ate every bite of her lunch. It was kind of funny that her best friend also brought beets in her lunch, but they were roasted. (Gag.) However, they girls thought that was just great.

No comments:

Post a Comment