Tuesday, June 7, 2011

"It's Not Easy Being Green": #42


Yesterday the girl came home from summer camp with a tadpole so today I sent her in with some frogs. My husband saw me making this bento and said, "Boy. That's a a lot of green." It reminded me of Kermit the Frog's song, "It's Not Easy Being Green," so I had my title.

She has broccoli, kiwi lily pads with carrot lilies, rice frogs colored with pureed peas, dried cranberries, and a two little strawberries. The frog details are made from nori and provolone cheese. I also sent her with ranch dressing to for dipping the broccoli and iced water with a squirt of lime.

The last time I turned rice green, I simply mashed peas around and stirred them into the rice. That resulted in weird green clumps that didn't look terribly appetizing. Consequently, sweetPea refused to eat it. This time I pureed the peas with some water and then stirred it into the rice. The result was a much more consistent color and (hopefully) a more appetizing lunch. She was very happy to take this so I'm hoping she'll be happy to eat it. Stay tuned.

The Verdict: At school she ate one frog, all the cranberries and strawberries, all the carrots, a few pieces of broccoli and one piece of kiwi. She said the kiwi was sour. She ate the other frog after school for snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment