Tuesday, March 29, 2011

In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb: #7


This was the most complicated bento I'd ever attempted. It consists of a spinach salad with a provolone and cheddar lion. The lamb is made of rice with watermelon radish face and ears. The details are cucumber peals.

This one took me a while to do, but it still only ended up taking about 20 minutes or so. I think people have this misconception that fancying up a kid's lunch takes an inordinate amount of effort. I think it would have taken even less time, but I don't have nori punches for making little facial details. I was using plain old kitchen shears.

The Verdict: This was a big hit for the cuteness factor. In fact, her teacher took a photo of this lunch and had her walk around and show not only her class, but the class next door. I was very flattered. She ate most everything, but I gave her permission to skip the big cabbage leaf I was using as a backdrop for the lamb. Before I told her that, she was attempting to eat the gigantic leaves in the background. "I chewed and chewed, but it just wouldn't slip down ." Poor little thing.

I know it isn't professional quality, but here are some closeups:






No comments:

Post a Comment