Thursday, August 15, 2013

Typical Sushi Lunch



This is a typical fast school lunch. I can put this together in about 5 minutes in the morning. Today's sushi is simply carrots and cucumbers, but I do vary the vegetables. I've used asparagus, bell peppers, tofu, rolled up spinach leaves. If I have it on hand and it can be stuck into a sushi roll I've probably tried it. She's eaten it all, but she wasn't as fond of the leaves. She likes spinach in salads and smoothies, but apparently it's not sushi appropriate. 

Also included are blackberries and blueberries. I stuck a Cascadian Farms chocolate chip granola bar in the center as a divider. This LunchBots container is different from the one yesterday in that it is just one open container with no dividers. That brand of granola bar is one of the only varieties I've found that does not contain tree nuts. 

I've been making sushi for the last year, so it's just as easy to throw these together as it would be for most people to make a pb&j.

I make a pot of brown rice once or twice a week and keep it in the fridge to have on hand. To give it the "sticky" quality needed for sushi, I simply add a little more water than called for and cook it for maybe 5 minutes more. Typical sushi rice recipes call for rice vinegar and sugar, but Sweetpea seems to think that makes the rice taste like lemonade. Maybe I just haven't quite figured out the right ratio. For now I just sprinkle a little vinegar in the rice. She seems fine with that. 


3 comments:

  1. Great tip! My daughter had some sea salt and vinegar chips and complained that they tasted lemony. So I'll try your way when I'm ready to attempt sushi-making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemony chips? Ick. She also definitely likes me to put in some pickled ginger. I think that must help add just the right amount of sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemony chips? Ick. She also definitely likes me to put in some pickled ginger. I think that must help add just the right amount of sweetness.

    ReplyDelete