Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Special Bento for Starting Third Grade

Hello, Blogworld! I'm sorry I've been MIA, but I do have a fairly good reason. Last year Sweetpea announced, "I love sushi! If you make me sushi every day in my lunch I'll eat every bite."

Who was I to argue? I was a little disappointed that she didn't expect me to make charaben every day, but it was really easy to get into the routine of making her a vegetable sushi roll every morning. They were in bento boxes and the lunches could be quite colorful. Usually I made her a carrot and cucumber sushi and varied the fruit and treat. I even took a few photos. But how much can one really say about sushi day after day?

At the end of the year, she asked, "Why don't you make me cute bentos anymore? I love sushi, but I didn't mean for you to NEVER make special lunches."

Well, okay then. Thanks for clarifying.

Today was her very first day of third grade. (Yes, I actually typed 'first' grade before I realized my mistake.) I know it's a total cliche, but I'll say it anyway - I can't believe how quickly the time has passed.  

For her first school lunch of the year, I chose to make a Hawaiian themed bento in remembrance of our recent vacation in Maui.


I'm a little bit out of practice, but I don't think it turned out too bad. On the left side is a carrot and cucumber palm tree standing on a blackberry black sand beach. On the right is a brown rice turtle surrounded by pickled ginger flowers. After I took the photos, I remembered that I had some paper cocktail umbrellas among all my bento stuff so I tucked it in next to the metal separator. She plans to skewer the cucumbers and blackberries with it.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment